Thursday, January 12, 2017

#137 J is for January Book Club (Day 12 of 30 Paintings)


SOLD (6x6 in.)

This month we read John Owen's "A Prayer for Owen Meany".  Have you ever read this book?  I have mixed feelings about it.  There were points, especially in the beginning, when I really didn't enjoy it and just plowed ahead.  It was long...600+pages...and to be honest I skimmed parts of it.  I've never read anything quite like it, so I think it will stay with me for awhile.

I'm still learning so much about painting.  I was feeling a little discouraged earlier today.  It's so easy to want to be further ahead (in my skills) than I am today.  My husband reminded me of a couple of things though...even if my paintings don't look much improved, I've been growing in some areas.  I'm painting all of my still life's from life now.  Just a couple of months ago I was painting them from photos.  Also, I'm drawing most of them free hand vs. relying on a grid on the computer.  Not that I think it is bad to paint from photos (I still do that) or to use a grid (I still do that, too).  I'm just happy to be growing in some of these skills.  Even though I can get discouraged, the challenge of it all is one of the things that keeps bringing me back to the easel.  

6x6 inch oil on gessobord.  Email me at suitabledesigns425@gmail.com
Thank you for viewing my art!



2 comments:

  1. Your husband sounds wise. You're paintings this month are lovely. It's doesn't always feel like you're making progress when you are in the trenches, but you are going to look back the daily paintings and see growth. Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. That is helpful! I just got lost in your blog for awhile. Your art is so fun and I enjoyed seeing your work over the years!

      Delete