Friday, November 4, 2016

#100 O Holy Night


SOLD 6x6 inch oil on gessobord

This painting is the first in a series of nativity paintings.  I know it is still a little early for Christmas but I'm getting ready for the Indie Trunk Show!  I was unsure what it would be like to paint objects that are only neutral colors.  It was a good challenge and overall I like how it turned out.  I've finished two others and hope to post them over the next few days.  I drew some value sketches before painting them.  I think it helped.  I only used three values: black sharpie for the darkest, pencil for the mid values, and the white of the paper for the lightest values.  I didn't always stick to the plan but I was thoughtful about it when I deviated. 

Although I enjoyed painting them, I'm feeling the itch to have a little more fun.  I'm not sure what that means yet, but I feel like loosening up.  One message I've heard a by a couple of artists lately is EXPERIMENT.  That's not too hard to do when you are painting something almost every day.  I think I'm need to do some experimenting...with color and looseness.  One thing I want to try is switching up colors while sticking to the same values.  I also want to paint in some fun and fresh colors.  

Here is the thumbnail sketch I did for this painting:


Email me at suitabledesigns425@gmail.com
Thank you for viewing my art!





No comments:

Post a Comment