Monday, June 19, 2017

#218 Pops of Sun


Click to buy! (16x12 inches)

I really enjoyed painting this piece.  I bought the vase last Friday and I was very excited to paint it.  Isn't it pretty?  I thought it looked great with the sunflowers I purchased at Sprouts yesterday.  I set this still life up around 8pm last night and felt like it needed to be bigger than my 6x6 or 7x5 inch panels.  I found a canvas I purchased last summer and decided to give it a shot.  I haven't painted on canvas in almost a year. It was different than the gessobords I've been painting on but I enjoyed it more than I did in the past.  Ever since the workshop I attended in May, I've been experimenting.  I've felt kind of lost because of it...still do, but I think that experimenting is so important and I trust that it will lead to good places in the future.  For this painting I experimented by using canvas.  I also blocked in the whole painting by thinning down my paints a little with mineral spirits before going back in to add the details.  For the details, I used a little medium in my paint.  I painted the light and more saturated parts of each object first and then the parts in the shadow.  I noticed with the canvas, it was harder for me to make distinct brush marks.  I probably need to apply thicker paint to make that happen?  I still have 2 other "large" canvases from last year that I want to give a try.

16x 12 inch oil on canvas. Email me at suitabledesigns425@gmail.com
Thank you for viewing my art!

No comments:

Post a Comment