Monday, June 15, 2015

Companions- Sold


I've had so much trouble trying to paint anything red but I finally found a color that I like...Cadmium Red Medium.  I used that and some Cadmium Red Light for the more saturated parts of the tomatoes.  
When I bought these tomatoes at the grocery store I really only needed one but I thought I should keep them together.  They looked like little buddies...companions...to me!

Original acrylic painting on 8x8 wrapped canvas.  Available for purchase here https://www.etsy.com/listing/237162014/companions-original-acrylic-painting-8x8?ref=shop_home_active_1

Please email me at suitabledesigns425atgmail.com with any questions!

The initial sketch of this painting

A few people have asked me how I got into painting. About 25 years ago, I took oil painting classes for a year or two (ugh...shows my age!)  Every once in a while I would talk with my husband about how I would like to paint again but there just never seemed to be a good opportunity or space to try it.

This past Christmas he gave me acrylic paints and brushes as a gift.  I was really excited but completely intimidated!  I barely looked at it for over a month.  Then a woman at my church hosted a "Word and Palette" session one afternoon and my friend and I decided to go to it together.  It was my first time to use acrylic paints.  The painting below was what I made.

That experience gave me the little push I needed to begin experimenting with the paints that I'd received for Christmas.  The painting below is the first painting I did at home with my new paints.  It has a lot of personal significance to me...in honor of my son who passed away at 8 weeks old.  It's the hope that I've clung to over the last few years as I've walked the path of grief and loss.  

After that I started creating some paintings that were inspired by Rifle Paper Co.  

But I had the itch to try painting more loosely and so a couple of months ago I sat down at my kitchen table (aka my "studio" ha!) and painted this.  

It was so fun!  So I kept painting more freely and haven't looked back!

No comments:

Post a Comment